Sunday, December 2, 2007

Setting Up your Brick and Mortar Store

A few weeks ago I did a post on E-Commerce and Brick and Mortar Stores. One of my girlfriends is opening up a vintage clothing store and has been fretting over whether she should sell via a website or "bite the dress" and open up a Brick and Mortar storefront. She has decided to open a store. She's very excited and is shopping around downtown DC for an "affordable" location. She has also decided she's not going to limit her merchandise to only vintage. She's branching out with cool purses, shoes and other accessories.

She called me to get some advice on whether to go strictly Brick & Mortar or whether she should simultaneously set up an online store. My advice was a resounding "YES." In my opinion, Brick & Mortar storefronts and online sales are not mutually exclusive. There is nothing wrong with having a website and a Brick & Mortar storefront. The most important element is doing enough research to identify your target market. With the right planning and preparation, having both will ultimately give her more exposure and allow her to reach a broader market.

The biggest advantage I think she will get from opening a Brick & Mortar storefront is the "hands-on" relationship she will have with her customers. As convenient as the Internet is, it still lacks that warmth you get when you walk into a store and get "one-on-one" attention from the owner ----of course I am talking about a small business establishment. My girlfriend plans to run the store herself with occasional help from her fabulous mother. An advantage of the Internet is that it has unlimited shelf space unlike brick and mortar stores that only have so much shelf space.

She's really big on European fashion and wanted to set up her displays like the European stores do. She asked me to take some storefront pictures for her during my last trip. I took several, some of which I don't have anymore, but I will post the ones I kept. For those of you trying to figure out the best way to set up your store displays, CLICK HERE for some tips!!

Below is the latest Italian Fashion as of two weeks ago!!!!
















10 comments:

Lana said...

Love storefront number 9! It's typical Italy. Strong and feminine! And how was your trip here in Europe? Great that your friend wants a Europian storefront!

Valley Girl said...

MMm....I want to go shopping now.

Anonymous said...

nice nice nice! you take good photos..but isn't it crazy how fashion just keeps repeating itself! crazy huh?

jellofer said...

Wow, the storefronts look great!

Anonymous said...

not that it is some of my business ... but i would stand at a slight angle in front of glass so the flash does not show on the pics.
just to be constructive ~8-)

Kelly said...

Those are awesome storefronts! thanks for sharing:) PS. I hope you finally had some gingerbread cookies...

Gillian Kirkpatrick said...

Is that Carpisa in Florence, Italy by any chance? I spent a year there and it looks awfully familiar!

Batulo said...

Hey

ups you forgot the black doll lol.. just kidding.

to be honest, It is beautiful collection and I feel inspired

Jillian Renee said...

Beautiful images of fabulous fashion designs! :)

Renee Baker said...

Outfits on photo #8 look like my wardrobe...all black and white lol...pretty...

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories